College of the Rockies Student/Alumni
Short-term Contract Position
Black History Month Online Event Coordination
The College of the Rockies Faculty Association (CORFA) is looking to grant a short-term contract to a student or alumni of the College of the Rockies to organize an online event or series of online events during Black History Month (February 2021). The online event(s) will be open to the faculty, employees and students of the College of the Rockies. Some current ideas for an event/events include but are not limited to: a keynote speaker, speakers’ panel or another form of online discussion/awareness campaign.
CORFA is looking for applications from students and/or alumni who may be interested in working with a small group of volunteer faculty members to coordinate, market and manage the online event(s) during Black History Month. The successful applicant will be the team leader on event execution, however, will receive support and mentorship from faculty.
This role is a paid contract position and will run for approximately 10 weeks at an average workload of 10 hours per week between December 21, 2020, and March 15, 2021, depending on the successful candidate’s schedule and availability. The full amount of this contract position is $2,000 based on a rate of $20/hour and the anticipated workload of 10 hours per week. All supplies, event fees, or additional event costs will be available through a separate budget, to be managed by faculty. As this is a contract position, the successful candidate will be paid in 3 monthly installments for this work and the candidate will be personally responsible to pay any applicable income taxes and WorkSafe BC premiums.
General Responsibilities for Black History Month Online Event(s) Coordination:
• In collaboration with the faculty team, develop and manage a virtual event plan
• Attend online weekly meetings with a faculty team
• Contact and secure potential speaker(s) and/or panellists
• Market the event(s) within the College of the Rockies
• Coordinate registration and technology platform(s)
• Review all communications for accuracy and consistency
• Be available and assist with any needs during live event(s)
• Conduct a post-event debrief/review and provide necessary event data
• Experience and/or passion for coordinating/developing events
• Knowledge of virtual events and delivery process
• Strong communication/customer service skills
• Ability to define project scope and time requirements
• Project management awareness
• Attention to detail
• Understanding of “Black experiences” and “Black history” within Canada and the local
Preference for this contract position will be given to a current student and/or recent alumni
candidates who self-identify as being a person of colour (POC). We may also consider a team of
two students/alumni who would like to apply for this contract to share this work however a
maximum of $2,000 is available for this contract.
In order to apply for this contract position, please send a resume and brief cover letter
via email to:
Any questions may also be directed by email to Becky and/or Andrea at the email addresses
The application deadline for this contract position is the end of day on Thursday, December
Thank you for all that apply. Only those who will be selected for an interview will be contacted.